I googled the game regulations to know what dimensions to cut the pieces. The lengths were all accurate, but I couldn't find a dowel with a large enough diameter, so I ended up using a 2" dowel instead (this seems to be a common problem).
Martha Stewart has a nice tutorial for making the game. The measurements we used were slightly different than hers, and instead of painting the numbers on the dowels, I used a wood burner.
Cutting the pieces
Sanding the pieces
Here's the complete set!
Before I could even wonder how I'd store or carry this game... my Mom pulled a zippered cloth bag from her collection and the game fits great in it.
Beware, this game is VERY addicting!