Thursday, May 12, 2011

Refashioned t-shirt (asymmetrical tank with bow)

I was folding some laundry and realized I have tons of t-shirts. So, I grabbed one shirt and a pair of scissors and started cutting it up. Here's a little tutorial for a refashioned t-shirt idea:

1) I chose to do an asymmetric, sleeveless, v-neck. So, I cut the shirt accordingly.


2. Then cut the finished end off of the sleeves that were just removed from the shirt.

3. Cut two 1" wide strips from the sleeve used in step 2

4. Take the strips of shirt and pull on them. This makes the wide, normal t-shirt fabric more tube like but still raw (see picture below)



5. Taking one of the stretched strips of fabric, form half of a bow (see below, left)

6. Repeat step 5 and place it on top of the other strip forming a bow





7. Sew the bow together, making sure to catch all layers of the fabric in the bow






8. Cut roughly a 2" wide (about 3-4" long) chunk of fabric leftover from the sleeves. Tie this around the center of the bow to cover the stitches just made. (keep the extra length of the center of the bow to tie onto the shirt later)



9. Stitch all of the raw edges under on the neckline and armholes of the t-shirt



10. Take in the sides of the shirt to make it more fitted





11. Tie the bow on the shirt. (possible locations for bow: top of shoulder on thin strap, front base of thin strap, no bow at all, etc.)













Check out more of my refashioned t-shirts!  Click on the label "refashioned t-shirts" or check out some of these links:

MORE REFASHIONED T-SHIRTS!

Reversible, multiple look t-shirt
Worn out t-shirt & covering a hole
V-neck tank with straps centered in back


16 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Makes me want to go cut up a tshirt!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is really fun changing up an old t-shirt, there are so many options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job such a cute shirt perfect for the warm weather come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo cute! I'm saving this idea for a rainy day project, Christie! :) Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE this ! i am your newest follower. this is so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! I have lots of tshirts too but none that are solid! My husband does though! I might just steal one of his to try this!! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great refashion! love the angled neckline!

    I would love if you came and linked this project to my clothes upcycling page. It has a long term linky, so your project would stay there for more than just the week of a usual linky. We have over 50 projects linked up now – some fantastic ideas – and this month I’m upcycling lots of clothes and trying to feature lots of the links too!
    Do come and take a look!
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I'm going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to let you know I featured this on my blog :)
    http://cinsarah.blogspot.com/2011/05/favorites-friday-52711.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Great idea on a plain shirt, eh. Creative and cool DIY. Love the look of the refashioned t-shirt!

    Cheers,
    Cathy@embroidery digitizing

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tutorial! I love reconstructing boring t-shirt into something fabulous like this. I like it so much, I ended up including it on my blog... http://darlingadventures.com/?p=574
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to try this!!! Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well, i didn't feel like breaking out the old sewing machine, "sew" instead, i just cut the sleeve into one single inch wide strip by spiraling up the length of the sleeve (mine was short-sleeve), then i just tied it into a cute bow around the slimmest strap side and it looks more or less identical. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and advice! Thanks in advance :)