Sunday, July 1, 2012

Refashioned t-shirt (REVERSIBLE & multi-look)

Hubby & I just went through our house and got rid of TONS of old clothes and other stuff.  Knowing my love for refashioning t-shirts, Hubby pulled a handful of old t's aside for me :)

I think this shirt turned out kind of fun, because it is REVERSIBLE and since it has a ribbon for straps, it can be tied several different ways, giving slightly different looks.


Here's the BEFORE:

The shirt was a bit roomy for me to say the least.  Oh, and I'm not sure I should admit this... but there were holes torn in the armpits of it (that probably explains my slightly creeped out face in this picture).

Anyways, here's how I refashioned this shirt:


1) Lay the shirt flat, and place a shirt that fits you well on top of it.  



2) Using the shirt that fits as a guide, cut the t-shirt (that's being refashioned) width to size. 

*Remember to add enough room for seam allowances*
*If the guide shirt has more or less stretch than the shirt you're refashioning, add/reduce your measurements as well*



3) Cut notches for armholes

4) On one side of the shirt (doesn't matter if it's the front or back piece, since it's reversible) cut a v neck (leaving 3-4 inches for each shoulder)

5) If you want to get rid of the logo  sew the pieces opposite of normal (making the previous "right side" of the fabric the new "wrong side"  the logo should be on the inside of the shirt in the end)

6) Turn the fabric at the armhole under and stitch a seam (remember, to make sure you're sewing on the proper side of the fabric if you're hiding a logo)

7) Repeat step 6 with the "v" shape cut out of one piece

8) Sew sides of shirt together, under the arm holes



9) Sew casings on the top edges of each piece (the straight top edge on the uncut side, and each of the 2 shoulder pieces on the side with the v cut)

10) Thread a long ribbon through the casings and tie it together.  There are tons of ways to thread and tie the straps, here are just a few examples:



Straight front with ribbon threaded twice


Straight front with ribbon threaded once

V-neck in front with bows tied on each shoulder

V-neck in front with ribbon threaded across and tied on one side

V cut out in back with simple bow

V cut out in back with ribbon threaded through and tied in front

Straight back with ribbon tied in front

There are lots of other ways to wear the shirt, or instead of ribbon it can have a more nautical look if you tie thin rope as the straps.

10 comments:

  1. So cute. I love it. I think that even I might be able to pull that off ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great makeover of a baggy t-shirt!! and I love all the different ways you showed that you can tie it too!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous !! Come link it up with us at our party: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/ . This is something to show off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out great! I love that you can wear it so many different ways. Awesome recycle. If you're looking for another place to share your creative projects, stop by Etcetorize. Would love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a transformation! This is so cute! I'm stopping by from the Creative Itch link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! Newest GFC follower from Ginger Snap Crafts! Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can ;)

    Happy 4th!

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!!! Super cute and creative!! I'm featuring it on Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it...and I hate T shirts because I hate things around my neck I can so see doing this. Thanks for the ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopped by to let you know that I featured this on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 109
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and advice! Thanks in advance :)