We're heading on a trip soon, and I have been procrastinating on packing, big time. I haven't put much inside the bag, but I have been making pom poms to identify my luggage from the outside! (the muted toned yarn I have on the suitcase handles needed an upgrade)
Here's a simple DIY tutorial for making luggage pom poms
Supplies: scissors, thin ribbon, fabric (I used stretchy scraps from a swimsuit I made in the past)
1) Cut long strips of fabric (about 1/2" wide)
2) Decide how long you want the pom pom strings to be on one side. Double that width. Find something of that width to wrap your long strips of fabric around, over and over (see below)
3) Tie a ribbon tightly into a knot around the center of your fabric bundle (in my pic above, the knot went between my ring and middle fingers. *Leave a long tail of the ribbon so it can later be attached to your bag*
4) Cut the loops (see below)
5) For extra security that the strips of fabric won't loosen and fall out, take 1 strand from each side of the ribbon knot and tie them together. *Repeat* with all strands, this secures the ball, and fluffs it out better.