Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Recovering lawn chairs (part 3) complete!

I've been working on recovering a couple of patio chairs, here are links to the earlier stages:

Before the chairs were recovered
Making the pattern and assembling the chairs

Now, here's a look at how the chairs were completed!

My last post about recovering the lawn chairs ended with the fabric sleeve (new seat cover) being slightly too large. So, I sewed it smaller (about 1/2") and then reassembled the chair.

Since I was now satisfied with the fit of the cover it was time to sew the fabric at the bottom of the chair together.

To do this I folded the raw edges to the inside of the chair and used clips to keep it in place. Then, with an upholstery needle and sturdy thread, I hand stitched the fabric together.




Pretty simple. Here's how it turned out:




I have an extra yard or so of fabric, so I'm thinking about making little removable pillows to tie on to the back of the chair. We'll see!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I really need to get cracking with something like this for my outdoor chairs! Would you consider linking this up to my blog party Simply Creative over at 365 days to Simplicity? I'd love it if you did!

    http://365days2simplicity.blogspot.com/2011/07/simply-creative-blog-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and need to do it with mine! What kind of fabric did you use?

    http://salardsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks! I'm not sure the exact components of the fabric, but it is pretty heavy duty and was labeled for outdoor use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great is this?! Thanks so much for linking it up to my {re}create into something new blog party! Hope to see you next week for some more awe inspiring transformations!

    Kaitlin--The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea to recover them! we have some awful blue ones from MY husband's parents... and I am going to head to the fabric store tonight! thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOu did a great job with those chairs - I just looked back at what they looked like originally!
    Nice fabric you chose too!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute! What a great way to change things up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing beats recovering lawn chair so people can sweat in them! At least what they are sweating on is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turned out so nice! Following from Sumo‘s Sweet Stuff link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. Nice blog. You have shared useful information. Keep up the good work! This blog is really interesting and gives good details. Leather Chairs India, Leather office chairs.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and advice! Thanks in advance :)