Friday, December 2, 2011

Pattern Review McCall's 5538

After a long 3 weeks, I got my sewing machine back from getting repaired.  Unfortunately it wasn't fully fixed, and will have to be sent in again.  While that's getting figured out, I'll be posting pattern reviews for things I've sewn in the past. 

I'll also be pulling my other machine out of the closet soon.  It has been too long since my last sewing project!

Awhile back, I sewed McCall's 5538 View A for my Hubby, and View C for myself (but gave it to Hubby... since it fits him better)  Check out the first, and middle stages of making view A, and my original post on making View C

Here's my pattern review:

Pattern Description: Unisex unlined top or jacket pattern, including a pocket with velcro closures on the sleeve which could hold an MP3 player. The top features a partial zipper.

Pattern Sizing: S, M, L
I've read that the sizing for this pattern runs big, but did not run into this problem when making a top for my Husband. I cut a medium (view A) for him and it fits how he likes it.
I did think the sizing was too big for me though, and cut slightly smaller than the size small in View C. 

Possibly it runs large for ladies but average for men? 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes (except I didn't sew the pocket on the sleeve)

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Not as easy as I would have expected. I got stuck on step 7. The picture and description of the step just were not working for me. So, after going to bed and having a fresh look at it the next day, I think I figured it out.

After that though, I felt that there were a lot of unnecessary steps in the pattern that I skipped. I basically stopped looking at the instructions after getting through step 7.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like how quickly it is sewn (and it will only get faster in the future now that I've got the instructions down!)

I did not like some of the pattern instructions/pictures. But, it may have just been me having one of those days....

Fabric Used: Fleece

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't sew the pocket onto the sleeve. I stopped following the directions about half way through, but other than the pocket I think everything else turned out the same.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, if I had reason to, I've already sewn it twice (view A and C). It's a very versatile pattern and is pretty fast to sew. (these jackets/tops could also be made into vests if you just finish off the arm holes instead of attaching the sleeves)

Conclusion: I liked the pattern, although I had some struggles with the directions. Once I figured out what was going on it seemed pretty obvious/easy, but it took awhile to get there. I didn't end up following the last half of the directions because there were a lot of steps I felt were unnecessary and time consuming. I also did not sew the pocket onto the sleeve.

I would use this pattern again, but for ladies, would cut a size (or two) smaller than normal.
Basically, the pieces and final outcome of this pattern are great. The pattern instructions could be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and advice! Thanks in advance :)