Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Last minute halloween costumes part I - Pirate (and witch skirt)

I wasn't going to open up my Halloween costume/decoration boxes this year... (I'm studying for a HUGE exam) but since it is my favorite holiday, I couldn't resist.

It was kind of fun digging through things, and I came across several costumes I made last minute in the past that were fun, quick, easy, and CHEAP.

First off, lets explore the world of simple pirate costumes for ladies.

The Skirt (which could also be the skirt of a witches costume):


Super simple pirate skirt
This literally took 5 minutes to make, here's all you need to do:

1) Decide how long and wide you want your skirt (mini skirt? knee length?)
2) Take those measurements, add an inch to both the length and width(or whatever you want for your seam allowance)
3) Cut 2 pieces of fabric to the size determined in step 2
4) Sew the 2 pieces of fabric together along the sides of the length
5) Add elastic to the waistband
6) Cut random triangles or chunks off of the bottom of the skirt leaving it with ragged edges.
7) Depending on your fabric choice, and how raw you want the skirt to look at the edges, you may want to add fray check along the bottom of the skirt.

Sashes:Pick out some fun striped fabric to make pirate sashes. Again, depending on how ragged of a look you want, you may want to sew the edges... or you may want to leave them plain. I also cut a thin strip of matching fabric to tie in my hair as a headband.

Pirate sash and headband

Add these two items together:
Pirate skirt and sashes
I also made some sashes/ties with medallions, but can't find them! Bummer. But, I just cut long strings of hemp, (maybe 3 or 4) and tied a knot connecting them all together every several inches, (the strands are still separate between knots). Then, on the ends of the hemp sash, I tied medallions at varying levels.

To complete the outfit and make things REALLY easy, just pair this with a top you already have in your closet. Tank tops work well.

This tank top is from GAP. The sash shown is different than above, and is not sewn. You can mix and match sashes to make the look different too.
easy pirate costume matched with tank top

This is my favorite shirt to pair with the skirt though:
easy pirate costume matched with long sleeved top
It is a "My Michelle" shirt that I bought from Kohl's, probably 10 years ago. It's supposed to be a dressy top, but for some reason I like it as a pirate top.

If you want to be even more classic pirate, make an eye patch and a fake hook. Also, adding any necklaces, bracelets or other jewelry that go with the pirate feel make it look so much better!

For guys, or ladies who don't want to go the skirt route, you can easily use the same ideas above, but with pants. Just cut chunks off of the bottom of a pair of pants to give the zig-zag random edge. Add some sashes, and there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and advice! Thanks in advance :)